Tuesday, October 14, 2014

How Important is Recovery?

I have honestly been really struggling lately. It is making me wonder how worth it this whole process is. Is it worth spending 10 hours a week in therapy? Is it worth being watched for 3 meals a week and having to talk about how I feel about it afterwards? Is it worth unleashing all this trauma in me that has never been dealt with? Is it work spending 3 nights a week in therapy when I could be doing other things? Is it worth having feelings? Is it worth having to document everything I eat for my dietician to look over? Is it worth going on medications for? What is recovery really worth? When I get really discouraged, I often want to say "Fuck It" and just move on. I would quit treatment, have free time at nights, and just live with my ED.

My body image has been horrible this week. I went out with a coworker last night and had to change 4 times before I was okay with leaving the house. She finally had to say, "Stop. You get to change one more time and then after that, we need to leave. You look fine." I just look in the mirror and see stretch marks from weight restoration, stomach fat, lines from my clothes where they don't totally fit anymore, and just feel disgusting. How do you even get over that mental hurdle? I hope that one day my brain can see that I am human and that my body shape is fine, but I really don't think it ever will. Then, I just am so overwhelmed with my trauma and anxiety that it makes me want to curl up in a ball and just shut down. I can't handle thinking about it anymore. Anticipating treatment and having to talk about these things every night is making my anxiety unbelievably high. I have started shaking again and have had panic attacks. It's been really difficult. So, why not just give up? How important is recovery anyways?

Even when I have these awful days, I try to recognize the positives in recovery. I can't always see these things as positive or even that important, but they still exist. Recovery is worth it, because:
  • I have enough energy to make it through a day without having to take a nap.
  • I can better focus on things I have to get done and accomplish.
  • Long term goals seem possible.
  • I'm not isolating from friends and family.
  • I am not passing out everyday.
  • My hair has stopped falling out and my nails are growing. 
  • I am not always doubled over in pain when I do eat something.
  • I don't have the body of a small child anymore. 
  • I can enjoy the little things in life a little bit more.
  • Clothes look better, because they're not hanging off of bones. 
  • I don't feel the need as much to turn to drugs or alcohol to numb out.
  • I don't feel so empty all of the time. 
  • I sleep better.
  • I have less anxiety.
  • I don't have this obnoxious voice screaming my negative core beliefs in my head.
I could go on and on about all of these. There are so many reasons why recovery is important, but the most important one will always be:
  • I have my life back.

No comments:

Post a Comment