Wednesday, February 25, 2015

I Had No Idea

The theme of this year's NEDA week is "I Had No Idea." Sometimes, we have these cookie cutter ideas of what eating disorders are and how they can impact a person, but there's so much more to them than just a label.

I Had No Idea:
  • The level of distortion I had when looking in the mirror.
  • I was so cold all the time, because of ED.
  • How much hair I would lose.
  • I would end up with a chronic heart condition.
  • Eating a meal would continue to cause stomach pain and issues, even in recovery.
  • There are no good/bad foods.
  • How hard it is to begin eating again- physically, mentally, and emotionally. 
  • My thoughts were covering up so much more underneath.
  • Using behaviors would give the high that cocaine once did.
  • Wanting to be thinner wouldn't make me any happier.
  • How quickly dieting turned into disorder.
  • Seeing the size on my clothes get lower would cause me to push harder.
  • Not everyone constantly beats themselves up mentally everyday.
  • How much my self-worth would become dependent on size, shape, and numbers.
  • A bad body image day would impact my ability to do anything.
  • Skipping work would happen so frequently from being sick from behaviors.
  • That I punished myself with restricting.
  • I would use self-injury.
  • Other mental health issues contributed to my ED behaviors.
  • Anorexia would be closer to me than many friends and family when I'm sick. 
  • The impact of my behaviors on my ability to perform well at work.
  • Lying would become a part of my daily routine.
  • I wasn't very good at hiding behaviors, even though ED told me I was.
  • EDs have a major influence on how your brain works and performs.
  • I had no clue who I was without my eating disorder.
  • Anorexia would become my identity.
  • The negativity of my core beliefs.
  • How strongly my trauma affected me without restricting.
  • Talking about my issues would be and continues to be the hardest thing I have to do.
  • The amount of support I needed and continue to need to stay in recovery.
  • Comparing myself to others would cause me to lose self-confidence.
  • How amazing the community of people fighting EDs is. 
  • As a therapist, I wouldn't know all the answers to help fix myself.
  • I wouldn't be able to bring myself to dance again.
  • People don't spend 2 hours in the grocery store to get a basket's worth of food.
  • I have the ability to take care of myself and other people. 
  • Suicide would be an option I would ever seriously consider.
  • My behaviors could have killed me.
  • Hunger cues would go away, and Fullness cues take time to adjust.
  • That I would continue to fight anorexia 10 years later. 
  • Just how sick I actually was.
  • I would have to give up my job, relationships, friendships, life in order to go to treatment.
  • I would lose everything to my eating disorder.
  • You have to hit rock bottom before you can build yourself back up again.
  • Even skipping one meal in recovery would put me off track. 
  • Insurance coverage is solely based on numbers, not on actual mental stability.
  • Letting go of behaviors would be this difficult.
  • How hard it is to stay in recovery.
  • I could feel so good without using behaviors, being a certain size, or a number on the scale.
  • Treatment would be the hardest thing I would face, but it was absolutely worth it.
 I could go on and on, but eating disorders are so much more than a DSM diagnosis. That's why weeks like NEDA Awareness are so important. Without educating, many people may not understand or receive the help that they need. Spread the word!

No comments:

Post a Comment